Skip to main content

How to apply for American Citizenship with misdemeanor background?

West Orange, NJ |

I am planning to apply for American Citizenship, I am kind of worried about my criminal background for misdemeanor it happen almost 8 years ago. What I need to do before I fill up the form. Thank you so much.

Attorney Answers 2


You can attempt to get the matter expunged. Please give me a call to discuss this further.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


I agree with Mr. Tan, that you need to consult first with an experienced lawyer to determine how the conviction will be viewed by the US Government. If it would consititute a bar to the citizenship application, you need to determine what legal remedies are available to you at this time to try to remove it as a bar. Consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice laws in NJ as soon as possible, as several time limits have already passed in regards to your options, while others are still pending. Good luck.

This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer. While I do practice law in NJ, this response does not constitute legal advice; does not create an attorney-client relationship; and, is not intended as an attorney advertisement. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer of your choice, who is admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions about this case.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics