Skip to main content

How to apply for a wife visa???

Brazil, IN |

I am going out with a American guy for years and now we had decided to get married we want to get married in Brazil e move out to the USA, but we do not know how to appply. If he hadn't been work in a regular job lately we can still apply or it will be an obstacule for us??????

Attorney Answers 4


He files the petition abroad and if he does not have sufficient income then you two get a co-sponsor that is a legal permanent resident or us citizen.

MEDINA LAW GROUP PC: EXPERIENCED TEXAS IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS. email:; Phone: (210) 821-4500; Fax: 210-821-4500; 1802 NE Loop 410, Ste 104, San Antonio, TX 78217. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Furthermore, the content of this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. I apologize in advance for any spelling or typographical errors. MEDINA LAW GROUP PC.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree




sorry but what you do mean with a co-sponsor ??? how does it work???

Cindy Medina

Cindy Medina


someone else who makes the required income according to the USCIS Poverty Guidelines. basically that person is signing a contract that they will be financially responsible so that you do not become a public charge.


After marriage the US citizen files a form I-130 ... followed by MANY other forms ... a process that takes about 9-12 months.

Yes, income can be an obstacle if he doesn't make over $20,000 a year. If his income is too low, you'll need a financial co-sponsor.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


My colleagues are correct. Marry, file IR petition and visa process. Co-sponsor will be required if petitioner's income is insufficient.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I think it would be in your best interest to seek professional consultation with an experienced immigration attorney instead of venturing out on your own based on what you learn on the internet elsewhere or on this website. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St, ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics