Skip to main content

How to apply for a refugee status to United States? does it have to be through UNHCR?

Nashville, TN |

My best friend in Syria, and he lost his house and job and so many things, I am on Visa in America, Id like to help him out to come over here, what are my options ? there is no US Embassy or Consulate over there anymore, I am not sure about the UNHCR office, does he have to be outside Syria to apply , Can i ask for a visa to bring him here to stay with me for a while ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    My colleagues are correct ... there isn't anything you can do ... other than to help your friend find the closest UNHCR office:

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. I'm sorry. This is a difficult situation. Your friend could try for refugee status from UNHCR or from the embassy or consulate of any other country that your friend might be able to get to. Your friend would not have to be outside of Syria to apply. It's difficult to provide suggestions when the situation there is so difficult and changing.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  3. there are two processes to seek refugee status: asylum and refugee resettlement. To seek asylum the applicant must be inside the US. To seek resettlement, outside but through the US consulate, not UNHCR, though UNHCR can serve as a conduit.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics