How to apply for a refugee status to United States? does it have to be through UNHCR?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Nashville, TN

My best friend in Syria, and he lost his house and job and so many things, I am on Visa in America, Id like to help him out to come over here, what are my options ? there is no US Embassy or Consulate over there anymore, I am not sure about the UNHCR office, does he have to be outside Syria to apply , Can i ask for a visa to bring him here to stay with me for a while ?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Best Answer

Answered . My colleagues are correct ... there isn't anything you can do ... other than to help your friend find the closest UNHCR office: http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e45ade6.html

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

1

Answered . I'm sorry. This is a difficult situation. Your friend could try for refugee status from UNHCR or from the embassy or consulate of any other country that your friend might be able to get to. Your friend would not have to be outside of Syria to apply. It's difficult to provide suggestions when the situation there is so difficult and changing.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

1

Answered . there are two processes to seek refugee status: asylum and refugee resettlement. To seek asylum the applicant must be inside the US. To seek resettlement, outside but through the US consulate, not UNHCR, though UNHCR can serve as a conduit.