Skip to main content

How to appeal Texas divorce decree which permanently took away my gun rights?

Houston, TX |

Texas divorce decree has language that permanently took away my gun rights. Biased judge. I am appealing the final judgment. There was no evidence presented, only false testimony on which the gun rights were permanently taken away. What ground do I have to appeal the gun restriction? Seems like a criminal court, or bone fide protective order should have jurisdiction over the subject matter of my constitutional right to bear arms, not a divorce court. Please help me with statutes or case law.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Hire a lawyer. A modification may be possible, depending on timing and the whole story.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

  2. You need a lawyer ASAP. If a decree has been signed, you are under tight deadlines to try and undo what the decree orders. If at all possible, you want to file a motion for new trial or notice of appeal within 30 days of the date the decree was signed. There may still be some options available after 30 days have passed, but they are much more limited.

  3. You should consult with a competent family law attorney.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics