How to answer question 40a on form DS-230. Old and resolved mental condition with self harm

Asked over 1 year ago - Raleigh, NC

My wife from the UK has a history of OCD which is treated successfully with antidepressants. In years past, she has had some self harm (cutting) she also abused alcohol in the past although I don't know if it is in her medical records. She has not had a drink for 4 years and has had no self harm or any hospitalizations for mental health in 3+ years. How do we answer 40a? The tense is confusing. She has had a condition but it now poses no reasonable threat to herself or others. Do we answer yes and get letters saying she's ok now, or do we assume since she is not a threat to herself or others now we can say no? We don't want to lie but don't want to add unnecessary difficulty to the process.
Thank you!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

1

Answered . I agree with Atty Tunitsky.

2. Veronica Tunitsky

3

Answered . Please consult with an attorney personally as this topic is too sensitive to discuss on a public forum and carries certain potential implications (bars to entry) if answered in certain ways on the form, during the immigrant visa interview, and before a civil surgeon conducting the medical exam.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I, too, agree.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.