How to answer criminal conviction related question

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

"How do I answer this question in a job application related to GA state govt.:
Where you ever convicted of any misdemeanor or felony charges?
If yes, please explain in detail the circumstances surrounding this conviction, including the violation, city/state, dates and disposition."

I was arrested twice:
1. DUI charges dropped but pleaded to misdemeanor reckless driving.
2. Possession of Marijuana less than one oz. The charges were dismissed - was given a conditional discharge.

I think I need to only disclose conviction of Reckless driving as that was the only conviction.
Do I also need to disclose arrests? Can I skip Marijuana charges as it was not a conviction.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Troy Windel Marsh Jr.

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . No. Yes.

    Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.... more
  2. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It doesnt sound like they are asking you about arrests - only convictions. Based on that my answer would be that you need only disclose the reckless driving incident.

  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Answer the question honestly. You have been convicted of reckless driving, a misdemeanor.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    --- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,653 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,653 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering