How to answer a civil action lawsuit on a hospital bill?

Gibsonton, FL |

Can not afford an attorney , trying to do it myself.

Practicing law isn't easy, and civil litigation in particular is difficult because of all the rules and formalities. You're in what I think would be considered a simple contract/collection case, where the hospital claims you owe them a certain amount of money, and you deny the size of the claim. I suggest, before you spend a lot of time and energy fighting this, seeing if you can settle it for some compromise amount, perhaps with installment payments so you can pay it off slower.

If you can't settle it and feel you have some meritorious defenses, I suggest getting a book or two for non-lawyers like this one for sale at amazon (also apparently Target has it):

And this one has sample forms:

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You will want to consult a skilled lawyer in your locale.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Good luck to you.

God bless. I am in Chicago and do not practice in your state.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in your state in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.