Skip to main content

How to acknowledge accounting error found while collecting information to send to IRS for correspondence audit?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Tax law

i am in the process of a correspondence audit by the IRS and I noticed an error in my charitable deductions. My records reflect less than what was listed on my return. I can only assume that this was a fat finger mistake made by my tax preparer. How do I acknowledge this when I submit my information? It was a mistake on his behalf and an oversight on mine.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You could file an amended return or, since it is a correspondence audit, acknowledge the mistake in the correspondence. I think that it would be a good idea to hire a tax attorney to help.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer