How the U.S.C.I.S. determines that the couple do not live together

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

The reason why I am asking this is because mine did not live with me after pretty much abandoning our marriage when the card arrived. This is something I have notified the immigration that my spouse took off with the arrival of the green card. Would this be enough for immigration to know that the spouse did not live with me. Since the marriage was abandoned, the spouse obviously can no longer provide the necessary documentation that the marriage was bonafide on their end, so does this put my spouse in an awkward situation with the immigration regarding the faith of her residency.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The same way any interested party does.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many different ways.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. David Eli Larson


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your spouse received a conditional resident 2 year green card, she will have difficulty whenit comes time for her to file the Form I-751 Joint petition to remove conditions. If you had already been married for two years when she got approved for the green card, then it is still possible, but unlikely, that she will be called to account for her actions in abandoning you. You should, as my colleague, advised, schedule an appointment with an immigration lawyer to review your specific situation and obtain advice on your options for action.

Related Topics

B1 business visa

B-1 visas are available for foreign workers who need to visit the US temporarily for business purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,122 answers this week

2,233 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,122 answers this week

2,233 attorneys answering