Skip to main content

How the homeowners insurance pay for my surgery

91311 |

I'm an unlicensed handyman workers working for a gentlemen over a month .I fell with the ladder over 14' ft inside this man property. I landed on my right heel of my foot, fractured my heel. And I require foot and ankle surgery, Is there any type of help with my expenses? Time, pain &suffering?

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Depending on the cause of the fall, you may have a claim.
    Also, depending on the home owner's insurance policy language, they may have to cover your expenses.

    Seek a personal injury attorney in your area for a free consult to discuss. Get copies of your medical records and bring them with you.

    If you are in the NY/NJ area, I handle such matters. If not, good luck.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

  2. There may be some options available. Contact a local and qualified personal injury attorney. You've waited an awfully long time. This complicates the lawyers efforts. Good luck and get well soon.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  3. I would need some more information such as how the ladder was positioned, who positioned it, what the surface was like and your medical treatment thus far. As my colleagues below have stated, it depends on the homeowner's insurance policy language and when it occurred.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

  4. Contact a local personal injury attorney. That attorney will assist you with gathering the facts to see if there is negligance on the part of the homeowner; or if possibly the latter was defective & a product liability claim can be brought; and check to see if there is proper homeowners insurance coverage; he should also be able to assist you in obtaining any necessary medical care.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  5. Consult with a personal injury attorney to evaluate the best way to proceed.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  6. There are two possibilities. Some homeowners policies will provide workers' compensation coverage for such an event which would cover medical expenses, temporary disability and any permanent disability. Alternatively, you may have a liability claim for past and future medical expenses, lost income and pain and suffering. The policy will cover either the workers' comp or the liability, but not both. You should probably consult with a good local personal injury attorney about the facts and your options.

    Good luck.

  7. Did this gentleman help you with this ladder? A local personal injury lawyer can investigate whether there was any negligence, and whether a claim against the homeowners insurance could be pursued.

  8. Depends upon your state law and the ins policy and facts. Some states have a formula for determining if you are an employee based upon the number of hours worked and or pay recd. If you qualify as a statutory employee, then you are entitiled to workers comp benefits, and most homeowner ins policies will provide that coverage. If there is no coverage, you may have the right to file with a state's uninsured employerfund. You also have a right in some states to then sue the employer. If you dont qualify as an employee, you can sue the homeowner if he was negligent in some way. Contact a local injury and or work comp lawyer asap.

  9. You may be able to get workman's comp under the homeowners policy. If the homeowner was negligent in some way causing your accident you may have a direct action against the homeowner. either you should be consulting with an attorney

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics