How tcan I get an extention with 75% of community service hours completed for Accelerated Rehabilitation in Connecticut?

Manchester, CT |

My court date is on March 1st. I have completed drug rehabilitation classes and I am on track to complete 30 out of 40 hours of communnity service by March 1st. I work full time and go to school full time so it has been challenging to find a non profit that can accomodate my schedule. I am scheduled to work every other weekend in a soup kitchen for 4 hours. I am scxheduled to work after ym court date but I will not have the full 40 hours completed by then. I asked my lawyer if it was possible to move my court date to April 1st and he said it is not. Is there any way to move a court date or get an extension on community service hours in state of Connecticut? Manchester Court

You need to ask the court for a reasonable extension ASAP, and not wait until the last minute. Be proactive.... Ask the attorney you had when you applied.

Attorney Salvatore Bonanno
Law Offices of Salvatore Bonanno
67 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 527-6500 Office
(860) 246-6786 Fax
salvatore.bonanno@comcast.net
www.hartfordlaw.net

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can I ask the court for an extension or does my lawyer need to? My lawyer told me that even if we are not finished it shouldn't be an issue as long as he can demonstrate that I am close to the end. I do not want to go to court without all of the hours completed for fear of this charge on my record.

The only reason a continuance would likely be an issue is if you received the full 2 year diversionary period (which also means you would have had two years to get 40 hours of CS done) or the court made it very clear at the time AR was granted that no extensions would be given. Even then the attorney can ask, but there is no guarantee.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.

I was only arrested a little over a year ago. My last court date was March 2012 so I was given a year to complete the hours and rehab program.

Kevin M Black

Kevin M Black

Then an extension of time possible. Remember, your attorney has your best interest at heart. He/She may feel you need to push to get hours done. I have had clients do this and they get arrested during the extension period and AR is violated. Or the attorney could just be lazy. One of the two!!! Good luck!

One last question. If my attorney will not ask for an extension of time is it possible for me to do it. Can I go into the court now and speak with someone there?

Kevin M Black

Kevin M Black

Your attorney works for you and has no option if you have asked the person to do it for you because you can't complete the hours. Court won't speak directly to you if you are represented.

If you have an attorney, you really need to talk to them in detail about this. Based on what you say above, in CA I would be able to get you an extension. It might help to print up your school enrollment and schedule, as well as perhaps get a letter from your employer re your work schedule. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

I agree with what has been said by others, but if you have a month to do 10 more hours of community service --- JUST DO IT! Go see the bail commissioner or probation if you need help finding a place. You should be able to find a place that can accommodate you over the next month to do 10 hours. Then you can avoid the whole topic of asking for more time and risking the judge saying no and avoiding another court date.

Attorney Mark D. Colson
Colson Law Firm, LLC
40 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
860.263.0055 - Tel
860.838.2822 - Fax
mark@colsonlawfirm.com
http://www.colsonlawfirm.com