How t switch residency to NYC as quickly as possible.

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

I lived in Rockland my whole life. Got married and divorced there. Have been residing in NYC with my older son, as well as in Rockland for the last year. Would like to move my life, legal and all to NYC. How do I make it legal? I am going to sue my ex husband for a lot of money owed and other issues, and want to work with NYC attorney and courts. I currently receive child support through Rockland County support collection, My mail goes to both residences. My legal address is still in Rockland. How do I become NYC resident asap? Get my mail changed? Sign a lease? Contact Courts?

1. David Alexander Browde

Pro

1

Answered . Legal residency means moving to a place with an intention to remain there. So - you move, you get accounts such as Con Ed and telephone there, get a drivers license showing an address...

2. Ryan G. Blanch

Pro

1

Answered . You pretty much answered your question. If you have state issued identification reach out to DMV and file an address change reflecting your current NYC address. Contact your son's landlord or building manager and get added to the lease. Since the first of the month is nearing you may want to start today. If you're registered to vote, update your voters registration it's not hard to do.

3. David Zaslavsky

Answered . Simply moving to NYC will allow you to change your "venue" to NYC. Residency is more a matter of what state you reside in, rather than which city in that state. You can work with a NYC attorney whether you reside in NYC or not. However, the question is whether you can file an enforcement proceeding against your ex in a county other than the one you were divorced in. Unless, of course, this suit you are planning against your ex has nothing to do with your divorce, in which case you can file in the county in which you reside.