How soon would one know if there are criminal charges filed against them..what is the time frame for this?

Boston, MA |

Someone was detained by loss prevention and the police were called in ,but no arrest was made. Not quite sure if a formal report was documented by the officers. What should he/she look forward to in the near future. Civil demand notices have been issued by 2 separate law firms on several occasions thus far. Almost 5 months have passed since the incident ,how long does it usually take if the case were to go to trial? Would there have been something in the mail at this point...what are the expectations? Where and how can one find this information?

Chances are if you were going to be charged criminally then they would have done it by now. if something does come from the court at this point it would be a summons to attend a clerks magistrate hearing. As far as the civil demand letters go they always send these, but rarely are followed through by the companies.

David Newton, Esq.
    978-995-2014
    617-449-7441

This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Criminal Defense" for better exposure.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

3. Waiting is though. There is no time limit. However, the longer the passage of time, the less likely charges will be filed, in my view.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.