How soon can I get work authorization/EAD if my greencard holder wife files my petition for GC? We both have Indian passports

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kissimmee, FL

My wife is a green card holder and I'm working here on 5th year of my H1B (work-permit). It will be few years before she is eligible to file for citizenship. My employer isn't willing to file Employment based greencard petition for me. I was wondering what timelines are involved if I'm looking to get EAD/work authorization by filing a Green card petition via my wife ?

Thanks

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you wife has not already done so, she should file a petition for you immediately since it will be approximately 2-3 years before the priority date will become current (at present rates). Only then, assuming you continue to remain eligible for adjustment of status, will you become eligible for an EAD based upon your marriage. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case, advise you what to expect, and recommend how best to proceed given our situation.

2. Lizette Monick Sierra

Pro

3

Answered . Since your wife has years to wait before becoming a citizen, you will encounter a problem in maintaining legal status in the U.S. You will most likely have to change your status in the U.S. or wait in India for your wife's petition to benefit you. Seek counsel regarding your case immediately as your H1B visa is nearing expiration.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

1

Answered . It will take a few years. First the I-130 must be filed and approved. Then you must wait until the priority date becomes current before you can file for the green card and also work authorization.