How should my aunt go about obtaining legal guardianship of me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ocala, FL

I am a US born citizen. I moved from another country where I was living with my parents for about 7 years. I moved to Florida last August and am ready to go to college this August. My mother lives halfway across the world but we obtained a Power of Attorney guardianship letter. Apparently this is not enough for the state university I want to attend and I simply cannot afford out of state tuition. I will not be 18 until next year May. How do I go about obtaining legal temporary/permanent guardianship and which one would be best for me?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Heather Morcroft

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your aunt can file for a temporary guardianship by an extended family member under Chapter 751, and your parents can send consent forms allowing her to do this with relative ease. You should have an attorney assist you.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Lawrence Joseph Marraffino


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . As usual Ms. Morcroft is correct. You will need an attorney's help for this as the forms can be quite complicated.

    Lawrence J. Marraffino
    North Florida Family Law Attorney

    This answer cannot be a substitute for legal advice which requires more information from the client than can be... more

Related Topics

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering