How should my aunt go about obtaining legal guardianship of me?

Ocala, FL |

I am a US born citizen. I moved from another country where I was living with my parents for about 7 years. I moved to Florida last August and am ready to go to college this August. My mother lives halfway across the world but we obtained a Power of Attorney guardianship letter. Apparently this is not enough for the state university I want to attend and I simply cannot afford out of state tuition. I will not be 18 until next year May. How do I go about obtaining legal temporary/permanent guardianship and which one would be best for me?

1. Your aunt can file for a temporary guardianship by an extended family member under Chapter 751, and your parents can send consent forms allowing her to do this with relative ease. You should have an attorney assist you.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

2. As usual Ms. Morcroft is correct. You will need an attorney's help for this as the forms can be quite complicated.

Lawrence J. Marraffino
    North Florida Family Law Attorney
    www.ljmpa.com

This answer cannot be a substitute for legal advice which requires more information from the client than can be obtained in this forum. Therefore this answer CANNOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVICE FROM THIS ATTORNEY.

Child custody topics