How should i write to the judge my side of the story for TRO

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

At our ex-parte hearing the judge said that I could submit my report as I live too far away to attend the hearing physically, but I do not know where exactly to send it and to whom. I am assuming to the main address of the court, but not sure if the report should be address to the judge himself or not addressed at all, but then again there are lots of departments, so I am really confused. This is a domestic violence case. I need to send this tomorrow.

1. Edna Carroll Straus

1

2

Answered . There are many courts in Los Angeles, from Central to Pomona and elsewhere--so I have no way to know where your case is.

The address if the court is on whatever paperwork you have. Send it to the DEPARTMENT your case is in. Send it net day mail and send a stamped self addressed envelope for "conformed copies.

Google Los Angeles Superior Court" if you need more details, but limited representation would be preferable

2. Tobie Brina Waxman

1

1

Answered . Send to the court room and to the judge in the court room where the ex parte hearing took place. I'm assuming by "report" you are instead referring to a declaration. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/mc030.pdf In addition to mailing as suggested by my colleague, you should also try fax-filing. If your case is venued downtown - Central (111 N. Hill Street), their fax-filing number is (213) 633-1955. You will need a fax filing cover sheet: http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/mc005.pdf

3. Sarah Jeannette Haselup

Pro

1

Answered . I am assuming that the original poster has already finalized his/her response and sent it to the Court given the time frame referenced in the question. Generally speaking, the way that you present your "side" of the story is to file a DV-120 (Response to Request for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order) with an attached Declaration. Because you claim you are unable to go to Court, I would make it very clear in the Declaration why you are unable to appear and advise the Court that they are welcome to call you. Otherwise it could appear that the matter is technically uncontested.

Whatever response that is made needs to be FILED with the Family Law Clerk where the case is being heard and, if close to the hearing, ideally a courtesy copy should be delivered to the Department hearing the case (generally listed on the "Notice of Hearing"). As required, this needs to be done, and served, at least 2 days before the hearing.