How should I respond to a Warrant in Debtinue regarding an asset of my deceased father? Is this a probate matter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winchester, VA

My sister filed the Warrant in Debtinue for an ATV left by my father on my property. He died intestate but she has been appointed personal administrator. I have sent her a letter telling her I will offer her $1000 for the ATV or she can pick it up. Can she sue me for the item when the estate has not been settled?

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

1

Answered . I am not a VA attorney but there is a similar procedure in most states regarding probate. The thing is, its not your property so you can't keep it. If she is administrator it is her duty to recover the property and absent other facts I don't think you can keep it. Perhaps VA attorneys will chime in...

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . More information is needed.
    Did the warrant indicate the probate court
    or small claims court.
    Was she trying to recover for herself or the estate?
    These facts would make the answer obvious.
    You should have a VA attorney advise you further.