How should I respond to a subrogation letter I received from my neighbor's insurance company for fire damage to his unit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The fire was due to a candle that I left burning and this is documented. I did not have an additional homeowner insurance policy and the condo association's insurance had a $10,000 deductible. They are asking for the name of my insurance company or for me to contact them to pay them. I am no longer the owner of the property. The amount is $16,000.00. They have since completed the repairs to his unit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree you should retain a local attorney for assistance. Unfortunately, it appears you are responsible for the damage and without insurance. An attorney will be able to assist with a more favorable settlement of the claim than you can accomplish on your own.

    The reason you want an attorney is so that you can avoid giving information to the carrier that is against your interests.

    Alternatively, you can stonewall and wait until you are served. The SOL on a subrogation claim is 3 years. If you are judgment proof, that might be a good option. If not, an early favorable settlement might be a better choice. Good luck.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  2. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Retain a local property damage attorney to assist you with this matter

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more
  3. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Consult with a real estate attorney who can help you settle this matter.

    Many attorneys on this site offer free consultations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,950 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,950 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering