How should I respond to a subrogation letter I received from my neighbor's insurance company for fire damage to his unit?

The fire was due to a candle that I left burning and this is documented. I did not have an additional homeowner insurance policy and the condo association's insurance had a $10,000 deductible. They are asking for the name of my insurance company or for me to contact them to pay them. I am no longer the owner of the property. The amount is $16,000.00. They have since completed the repairs to his unit.

Retain a local property damage attorney to assist you with this matter

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

I agree you should retain a local attorney for assistance. Unfortunately, it appears you are responsible for the damage and without insurance. An attorney will be able to assist with a more favorable settlement of the claim than you can accomplish on your own.

The reason you want an attorney is so that you can avoid giving information to the carrier that is against your interests.

Alternatively, you can stonewall and wait until you are served. The SOL on a subrogation claim is 3 years. If you are judgment proof, that might be a good option. If not, an early favorable settlement might be a better choice. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Consult with a real estate attorney who can help you settle this matter.

Many attorneys on this site offer free consultations.

Recommended articles about Real estate