Skip to main content

How should I respond to a NOTICE OF RENEWAL OF JUDMENT?

Montrose, CA |

I received a NOTICE OF RENEWAL OF JUDGMENT. I never received the original NOTICE OF JUDGMENT filed just under 10 years ago. I can only assume that this judgment was for a vehicle that was repossessed. I was either incarcerated or homeless at the time the original judgment was made. How do I respond?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I think it is far loo long to attempt to overturn the original judgment.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  2. The advice given seems to be sound, but you can consult with an attorney in person to make sure.

  3. It might be possible to bring a motion or an action to set aside the original judgment, if the court never validly obtained personal jurisdiction over you. You need to have a lawyer review the documents supporting the original judgment.

Sued for debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics