How should I proceed with this situation in order to protect my children?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

My ex wife has a live in boyfriend, which was all fine and dandy until he attacked her and she had to call the cops on him to have him escorted out of their apartment (he is on the lease) She came over and told us it was over, she seemed pretty shaken by the whole event, but now she has invited him back into their home over there and that has me nervous as I don't want a man who assaulted my ex wife around my children. I expressed this concern to my ex wife who told me there wasn't much I could do about it...I would like to seek custody of my children as there is more going on, but where should I start? Would a restraining order be a good place??

1. Teri M. Nelson

Pro

3

Answered . You don't have grounds to seek a restraining order except if he directly harmed or physically abused the children. However, a harmful environment at mom's is certainly grounds for modifying placement. You should consult with an experienced family lawyer who can review all of the facts and give you an opinion as to what you should do.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

Answered . I would suggest going into court to modify the current visitation order. I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney who can advise you on how to proceed. Good luck.

3. Nicholas C. Zales

1

Answered . You should file a motion to modify placement. An attorney helping you will greatly increase your chances of obtaining an order for placement that you desire.

4. Laura A. Stack

Answered . I agree with the other responses, you should file a Motion to Modify the Placement (custody) of the children. We offer low initial starting fees and free phone consultations.

Attorney Laura A. Stack
    DAVISON LAW OFFICES
    633 W. Wisconsin Ave.
    Suite 304
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    Tel: (414) 272-1005
    Fax: (414) 272-1049
    www.davisonlawoffices.com