How should I proceed with this situation in order to protect my children?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

My ex wife has a live in boyfriend, which was all fine and dandy until he attacked her and she had to call the cops on him to have him escorted out of their apartment (he is on the lease) She came over and told us it was over, she seemed pretty shaken by the whole event, but now she has invited him back into their home over there and that has me nervous as I don't want a man who assaulted my ex wife around my children. I expressed this concern to my ex wife who told me there wasn't much I could do about it...I would like to seek custody of my children as there is more going on, but where should I start? Would a restraining order be a good place??

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Teri M. Nelson


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You don't have grounds to seek a restraining order except if he directly harmed or physically abused the children. However, a harmful environment at mom's is certainly grounds for modifying placement. You should consult with an experienced family lawyer who can review all of the facts and give you an opinion as to what you should do.

  2. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I would suggest going into court to modify the current visitation order. I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney who can advise you on how to proceed. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  3. Nicholas C. Zales

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should file a motion to modify placement. An attorney helping you will greatly increase your chances of obtaining an order for placement that you desire.

  4. Laura A. Stack

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I agree with the other responses, you should file a Motion to Modify the Placement (custody) of the children. We offer low initial starting fees and free phone consultations.

    Attorney Laura A. Stack
    633 W. Wisconsin Ave.
    Suite 304
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    Tel: (414) 272-1005
    Fax: (414) 272-1049

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,143 answers this week

3,018 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,143 answers this week

3,018 attorneys answering