Skip to main content

How should I plead to a "leaving the scene of an accident" in Mississippi?

Tunica, MS |

I am a Truck Driver . I was driving at approx . 60 mph . on hwy 61 . All of a sudden a car with two guys were acting belligerent trying to make me stop . I pulled over and got out of my truck . The two guys started coming at me very angrily , claiming I hit their car . Fearing for my safety I got back in my truck and took off . Note : I did not hit them . Next I called my boss to explain what was happening . He said the to guys are falsely accusing me to try and get some money . A few miles up the hwy was a road block . The officers said I left the scene of an accident . I tried to explain that I did not . They wrote me a ticket for the accused offense . Now I have to appear in court not knowing what to do . I am out of work now and I don't want to go to jail . Please help me !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Notify your insurance carrier and they will defend any claims made. With regard to the traffic ticket, there are attorneys who handle these. Hire one for $300-$400 as it would be worth every penny.

Is there any damage/paint transfer on your truck? Seems impossible to miss the fact that you were in an accident.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Report the incident to your carrier. Plead not guilty and hire a qualified and experienced traffic attorney. Money wisely spent.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Notify the vehicle's liability insurer immediately, if not already done- even though you believe there was no contact with the other vehicle. If the "Ticket" is based solely on an alleged violation of a statutory traffic rule that does not carry any "criminal' effect, seek the consult of an attorney who practices in traffic ticket defenses. If the ticket carries the possibility of a 'criminal conviction' or sentencing (ie- technically, permitting a sentence to jail, a criminal record, etc.) consult with a criminal defense attorney - either way you want to plead "not guilty".

Stacy E Pepper

Stacy E Pepper


Attorney Schwimmer is correct, either way you want to plead not guilty. You need an attorney.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a traffic court lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


There are two types of Leaving the scene charges, depending on whether there were personal injuries or only property damages.

Accident, Leaving Scene, (Attended Vehicle, 63-3-401 through 63-3-405 )
Where personal injury or death involved, Minimum Penalty: $100 and/or 30 days, or Maximum: $5,000 and/or 1 year

Where only property damage involved, 1st offense - $100 or 10 days, 2nd offense within 1 year - $200 and/or 20 days, or 3rd offense within 1 year - $500 and/or 6 months

If the vehicle they accused you was unattended, then the penalty is the same as the property damage only penalties above.

You said you are professional driver "Truck Driver" which means that any of these charges are serious to your driving record and can effect your job and insurance rates. You should get an attorney to help you with this.

Good Luck,

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer