How should I manage breach of divorce settlement agreement and new divorce action in different state?

11201 |

My wife has filed for divorce in NY state. I am living overseas, and I need to self-represent as I have very little money. The court has allowed me to be served via email at my request.

Before separating, we were living (in a house which we still own) in Idaho. An ID court dismissed a prior divorce action there case before trial due delays finalizing a settlement agreement. After the dismissal, we did ultimately sign a settlement agreement, which obliges payments from her to me. She now refuses to honor the agreement & recently brought this new action in NY.

I do not have resources to return to NY, nor retain a lawyer on a fee basis. Can breach of contract be filed in NY, or must it be ID? Would a lawyer in either state be likely to take a portion of claims as future payment?

1. You'll have to hire an attorney here or return to New York and battle pro se.

2. The agreement you signed in Idaho (provided it was done properly) is a contract. Since she has filed in NYS, I would suggest that you defend yourself in the NYS case. I don't of any NY attorneys that would take such a case on a contingency basis.

You can contact the bar association in the county where the divorce is filed. They may be able to provide you with a pro bono attorney or suggest something else.