How should I go about responding to a 30 day debt collector notice?

Asked about 1 year ago - Danville, CA

This debt collector, just sent me another letter, attempting to collect on a credit card debt, that is beyond the seven year credit mark.

They do not have any intentions to report me to the credit bureaus. Their asking to simply pay the debt.

1. Richard Scott Lysle

3

Answered . Send them a letter asking / telling them to cease all communication with you. After that, they can send you one last letter. If they continue to communicate with you after that, they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you have grounds to sue them.

2. Robert E. Vosburg

2

1

Answered . I agree, write them a letter, send it certified return receipt, and tell them that the statute of limitations (4 years) has expired on the debt, the 7 years that it may appear on your credit report has expired and that you no longer want them to communicate with you. Contact an attorney to draft the letter if you need help.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

1

Answered . Ask for information & documentation to validate the debt. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Maxim Christopher Zawojski

1

1

Answered . If they are attempting to collect on a debt when they have no legal right to do so you can sue them under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. However, keep in mind there are some things that may affect the statute of limitations. Contact a local FDCPA attorney.