How should I go about defending myself against a DUI charge ?

Boulder, CO |

In Boulder CO, where I live, I was stopped for changing lanes without using my turn signal. OK.
I was asked to take field sobriety tests and passed each one. I was not intoxicated. I had had no alcohol, nor smoked that day (although I do have a state MMJ card). There was nothing in the car -- no drugs, no paraphernalia -- Yet I was arrested, had to give a blood-sample, and got to spend a night in jail. Courtdate: Feb 4, 2013. NOW, I need guidance toward the best possible outcome, dismissed charges. But I fear the blood/sample will show the remnants of MMJ I legally use at home. I am a college grad. single male 27. No prior DUI

1. The best thing you should do is take advantage of the many great lawyers here that offer a free consultation so you can really explore your possible defenses.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

2. Definitely hire a competent lawyer. Don't handle this yourself. With no priors it is imperative that you keep your record clean.

3. My colleagues are correct. You should not be representing yourself on a DUI charge. I have been practicing for 21 years and I am a former judge and prosecutor. If I was charged, I would myself be hiring someone like Mr. Buckley to represent me on these charges. You need the objectivity of a third party even if you were a licensed and experienced attorney.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

4. The only thing that matters is how much active THC is in your system. Having the inactive metabolites is not a big deal. The problem becomes knowing enough to be able to tell the difference. You must hire a DUI defense attorney who is trained in defending these types of cases and who has experience defending DUID cases in Boulder. As stated by others, keeping your record clean is imperative and any resulting conviction from a case like this will follow you for the rest of your life.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

5. The way to best defend yourself is to hire the best attorney you meet with and like and can afford. DUI-drugs cases are very technical and require a specific skillset to defend properly. Make sure you hire a DUI attorney who knows the appropriate issues regarding DUI drug cases.
    It is very unlikely that the officer will not say that you passed every test. There are bad facts in your police report or you would not have been arrested. I'm not saying any part of it is true, but it is what the officer is going to say. Many of us on avvo give free consultations. Call one or more and find someone you like and can afford.
    Mr. Buckley or Mr. Orr would be excellent places to start this process.

DUI court topics