How should I begin the whole parenting plan process, when I'll be requesting supervised visitation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I won't go over my reasons here, but I have many concerns so I would like to request supervised visitation to my ex. I also know FOR A FACT that we will not agree on any set parenting plan. Do we NEED a parenting plan, even though we cannot agree on one, and because I would like to express some concerns along with evidence to the court? How should I begin this whole process, since it won't be as simple as just creating+agreeing on a PP?? I have NO clue how to start..

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Laurie L. Magan

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You indicate that you are dealing with an "ex," here, so if this is not someone to whom you are married you need to file the appropriate paperwork to establish a Parenting Plan and Child Support. The Washington Law Help website has several information packets that contain the forms you will need and instructions for how to fill them out, how to serve and file service, etc. But the other issues that you mention here hint that you might need some legal help along the way. If there are reasons to believe that the Court should limit your ex to supervised visitation, you will most likely need to have a Guardian ad Litem appointed in order to investigate both households and make a report to the court regarding the best interests of the child. Additionally, many courts have Local Rules which limit the number of pages of Declarations and supporting materials you can file, and you will want to have someone help you along the way to make sure that you present your information in a manner that will make the most sense and be the most helpful to the Court.

    You should definitely try to book some time to sit down with an attorney, at least to get you started in the right direction. Booking time with an attorney to have your questions answered now will save you a great deal of frustration in the future.

    Please be advised that the above neither constitutes legal advice nor creates an attorney-client relationship. It... more
  2. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you were married, you file a Petition for dissolution. If you are not married, you file a Petition to establish residential schedule. In both cases, trial es set 11 months after the date of filing in King County. I think you need to hire counsel because from what you have written, you do not have a good grasp of what is involved with what you are proposing.

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more
  3. Michael John Gainer

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You definitely need a parenting plan. Agreed or not, you need to file a Petition to establish one. The Petition is either part of a divorce or separate action.

    I've attached a link to get the forms. There is also a King County Family Law Court Facilitator to help. LawHelp has instructions. CLEAR can help get low cost help if you meet their income requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,419 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,419 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering