How should I answer the following question on a job application?

Asked over 2 years ago - Benton Harbor, MI

The question asks If I've ever been convicted of a crime? You do not have to disclose (1) arrests that did not involve a guilty plea or conviction, or (2) guilty pleas or convictions that have been sealed or expunged by a court.

I pled guilty and received a deferred sentence for RTF 3rd degree, and will be done with probation soon. After this is over I will not be convicted, but I am unsure. I will not be convicted of a crime, but yes I was arrested and pled guilty, but there was no conviction.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jeffrey J. O'Hara

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If you did plea under the diversion program, then you are correct to assume that after you successfully complete your diversion program including probation, this will not result in a judgment of guilt. No convcition.

    In other words, the judge accepted your guilty plea, but a judgment of guilt (conviction) was not entered on the official court record. Once you successfully complete probation and any other requirements of the diversion program, the charge will be Nolle Prosequi or dismissed. There will be no public record of this. Keep up the good work and complete that probation successfully.

  2. Jeffrey J. O'Hara

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . This is not a diversion. This is a delayed sentence. There is a difference. There will still be a conviction after probation is finished.

  3. Andrew Charles Lapres

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Sounds like you have to answer "yes." You did plead guilty. That would qualify as "an arrest involving a guilty plea." Although your case will be dismissed when the terms of your delay are complete, the arrest, charge, and dismissal will remain a public record. MCL 771.1 is a delay of sentence, not a deferral. Good luck.

  4. Aaron Jeffrey Boria


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . The conviction will only be entered if you "mess up", until then you do not have a conviction entered.

    I would answer no conviction

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now