How should a middle class defendant handle a frivolous lawsuit?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

As a middle class worker , i do not qualify for receiving free legal services nor can i handle hefty costs of hiring a lawyer . Does that mean i should always settle with the plaintiff because he has a deeper pocket and i just don't have the means to see through the justice being served ?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

Answered . Even though you might not have a lot of money to defend the lawsuit, I am confident you will be able to find a lawyer willing to work with you on legal fees. It does not mean you should always settle. You just have to look hard enough to find a compassionate lawyer willing to fight for justice.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

8

Answered . You can defend yourself (it’s called ‘pro se’). Many people defend themselves in court--with decidedly mixed results, depending on the type and complexity of the case.

Many law schools run legal clinics--contact some SD area law schools to see if you can qualify for one of their programs.

Word of caution: Frivolous is a fungible word--the court will recognize the difference between what the law considers frivolous, and what is a difference of opinion falling within the bandwidth of an acceptable case to bring.

3. Adrienne Patricia Allen

3

Answered . Some attorneys take payments or may barter / trade for services as well.

4. Carl H Starrett II

3

Answered . All of the prior responses have provided you with valuable and useful information. If you have a specific matter that you are facing, I encourage you to post this question again with more details. It might not cost as much as you think.

5. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

4

Answered . Without details of your particular problem, your question is more in the nature of an academic or philosophical inquiry, best suited for a law school class or over coffee. At a minimum, spend a minimal amount to consult with an attorney who will be able to analyse your legal problem; estimate the amount of time and effort it will take to defend against the same; and whether it is something that you can do Pro Se, as one other responder suggested (usually not advisable where the other party has legal representation).