How serious is my MIP in Kansas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrence, KS

I'm 20 years old and I asked a friend to get me some alcohol. I didn't go with them to the liquor store but a couple of my other underaged friends accompanied the guy who was buying for us and were followed home by a couple of cops. I went outside to help them carry it all inside and was given an MIP even though I hadn't been drinking and I hadn't given my friend the money yet, unlike my other underaged friends. I admitted to having asked for the alcohol although I also told them I hadn't paid or anything. How serious is my situation and what will happen?

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

3

Answered . It depends on your prior record and what is in the police reports. The biggest problem with an MIP is the effect it can have on your privilege to drive. Make sure to contact a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your options. You may have a valid motion to dismiss or suppress or a legal or factual defense. You may be eligible for diversion. Discuss these possibilities with your attorney.

2. Robert C. Gigstad

2

1

Answered . I would recommend speaking with an attorney as soon as you can. An MIP is a class C misdemeanor, which is the lowest level of misdemeanors, but it still has serious consequences. The most serious of which is the potential driver's license suspension.

3. John Wallace Thurston

2

Answered . Patrick is absolutely correct. The last thing you want is to be convicted of this offense. There is a 30 day DL suspension that is mandatory with a conviction. While that could be either a major or a minor inconvenience for you depending on your circumstances, you don't want your insurance company to see and alcohol-related suspension on your record. That could significantly increase your rates. Good luck.

4. Charles Robert Green

2

Answered . This happens very frequently in Lawrence. If you have no priors, we should be able to keep it off of your record. My advice is to talk to a lawyer immediately because a conviction / guilty plea will result in a suspension of your Drivers License.