Skip to main content

How serious is my MIP in Kansas?

Lawrence, KS |

I'm 20 years old and I asked a friend to get me some alcohol. I didn't go with them to the liquor store but a couple of my other underaged friends accompanied the guy who was buying for us and were followed home by a couple of cops. I went outside to help them carry it all inside and was given an MIP even though I hadn't been drinking and I hadn't given my friend the money yet, unlike my other underaged friends. I admitted to having asked for the alcohol although I also told them I hadn't paid or anything. How serious is my situation and what will happen?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. It depends on your prior record and what is in the police reports. The biggest problem with an MIP is the effect it can have on your privilege to drive. Make sure to contact a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your options. You may have a valid motion to dismiss or suppress or a legal or factual defense. You may be eligible for diversion. Discuss these possibilities with your attorney.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

  2. I would recommend speaking with an attorney as soon as you can. An MIP is a class C misdemeanor, which is the lowest level of misdemeanors, but it still has serious consequences. The most serious of which is the potential driver's license suspension.

  3. Patrick is absolutely correct. The last thing you want is to be convicted of this offense. There is a 30 day DL suspension that is mandatory with a conviction. While that could be either a major or a minor inconvenience for you depending on your circumstances, you don't want your insurance company to see and alcohol-related suspension on your record. That could significantly increase your rates. Good luck.

  4. This happens very frequently in Lawrence. If you have no priors, we should be able to keep it off of your record. My advice is to talk to a lawyer immediately because a conviction / guilty plea will result in a suspension of your Drivers License.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics