How serious is corporal injury on a spouse?

Asked over 2 years ago - Northridge, CA

My son's father got arrested for this recently. He has a history of drug arrests and all of them he got out the next day and plead out or did the service or what not. This is the first time I've seen that he's staying in over the weekend. How serious is this charge and how does it differ form battery or assault on a spouse or cohabitant? (I want to get custody for many reasons)

He was arrested for drugs and paraphenelia 6 months ago but his court date is this december. dont know why or the outcome. btw.

1. Chris J Feasel

1

Best Answer

Answered . No offence to the prior posters, but to actually answer your question (and not just quote the penal code that might or might not be in play), the offence can be quite serious depending on the charges and the severity of the injury. DV charges can fall under a lot of code sections - for example, corporal injury on a spouce under PC 273.5 can be a felony or a misdemeanor. It can be a strike if the injuries rise to the level of GBI. If the injuries aren't serious, the DA may charge simple spousal battery, or just battery and/or assault. But it depends on the facts. This person definately will need to get an attorney.

2. Hillary Johns

1

Answered . Was he convicted of a domestic violence charge? Your question is unclear as you presented it and it sounds like there are additional facts which you haven't mentioned. If you are seeking a change of custody, I would speak with a skilled family law lawyer in your area as to how to proceed.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . As you have presented no facts for the allegation, it is rather difficult to offer any opinion. A simple battery is frequently charged as a PC243(e) -misdemeanor. However, if the injuries inflicted are severe, the punishment can be state prison and potentially a strike.

4. Tobie Brina Waxman

1

Answered . California Penal Code ยง 273.5. : Any person who willfully inflicts upon a person who is his or her spouse, former spouse, cohabitant, former cohabitant, or the mother or father of his or her child, corporal injury resulting in a traumatic condition is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction
    thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years, or in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of up to six thousand dollars ($6,000) or by both that fine and imprisonment.