Skip to main content

How serious for me, illegal immigrant (married on us citizen) to be convicted in misdemeanor (altered temporary plates)?

Pittsburgh, PA |
Filed under: Immigration court

Hi, I am going right now thru the chain of the court hearings on this case, I wasn't convicted yet, but scheduled for immigration court already (thanks to ICE). Actually my husband is the one who forged temporary plate (and willing to testify on my behalf) but unfortunately for me car was on my name and in state of PA it's impossible to prove innocence since car is technically mine. I wasn't granted status yet so I am illegal, how bad is my situation, do I have a chance to stay?

sorry, I mean my immigration court will be scheduled once state thru with me

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Your husband should file an I-130 petition for you ASAP, so you can get some protection. There are many things your lawyer should know about you, for example, were you admitted to the US, and, if yes, how long ago your status expired, do you have an ICE hold or have already been NTA'd (processed by ICE), etc. With all questions answered, the picture will clear out.
    To answer your direct question, generally one crime where maximum imprisonment is less than a year does not hurt. I don't know criminal law in PA well enough to futher advice you.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics