Skip to main content

How safe is to file a FOIA request for an immigration file

San Antonio, TX |

One of my relatives needs a complete copy of his A-File. How safe it is to file this and send to his address?
What if derogatory info is in his file?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It is safe, as long as relative in question is not a "fugitive'. There are likely to be many pages that are going to be "withheld" by DHS. Most of us immigration lawyers who often file FOIA requests for our clients immediately "appeal" after receipt of the initial FOIA package. The second time around we get a little bit more of what we were looking for in the file..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


If you are concerned, another option is to hire counsel to complete the request.

The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly at her office in Edison, New Jersey, and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. (732) 662-4125.


Have a licensed U.S. immigration attorney help pull records so that it is done safely and you have a good review of the records and an immigration plan moving forward. Guessing is risky behavior. Private consultations work better.

Call: 888.483.0311. Information provided is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.


You should consult with an attorney.


Normally, they don't review the documents for actionable items, but that is not a guarantee. Can you use your lawyer's address?

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer