How quickly can a non-custodial parent get a modification?

I'm a non-custodial parent who is no longer working. I was receiving unemployment that was taking out child support. I am no longer receiving ue benefits and need a modication.

Lithonia, GA -

Damon Sharad Bivek

Damon Sharad Bivek

Child Support Lawyer - Marietta, GA

It can take some time to get a modification of child support petition through the court system. Depending on the county you are filing in you can expect to wait at least 45 days for a court date, and most likely you will have to wait longer. If the other side is cooperative, then you can always get things done faster by consent of both parties. However, if the other side is likely to contest the child support modification, you will have to file discovery requests to get accurate financial information from the other side and give them at least 30 days to respond. Bottom line, expect to wait at least 45 days, and most likely longer, until everything is processed depending on the county.

Please know that this is a general interest posting and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Jennifer H. Keaton

Jennifer H. Keaton

Mediation Attorney - Atlanta, GA

There are other online resources for you to consult: https://services.georgia.gov/dhr/cspp/do/public...

Related Advice