How one define possession of a firearm by a convicted felon

Indianola, MS |

a charge has been brought against me behind a lie which said a shot was fired in the ground. no gun have been recovered nor a gunpowder test

1. 1) It shall be unlawful for any person who has been convicted of a felony under the laws of this state, any other state, or of the United States to possess any firearm or any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm unless such person has received a pardon for such felony, has received a relief from disability pursuant to Section 925(c) of Title 18 of the U.S. Code, or has received a certificate of rehabilitation pursuant to subsection (3) of this section.

(2) Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or committed to the custody of the State Department of Corrections for not more than three (3) years, or both.

This is a serious charge. Possession certainly includes having a banned weapon on your person or in your property that is accessible to you. You NEED a lawyer to address this issue immediately

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.

2. It appears you are asking the same or similar question in a different way on multiple post, and again attorney Ferrington is directly on point. You need an attorney now. The fact that you are unsure how to ask the question is a red flag that you need professional help. Again, you are facing serious charges and it is very very very unwise to try to defend against these charges without an attorney.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com

3. Your question mixes the charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon with the proof for conviction on that charge. A charge is not a conviction,and all anyone needs to charge someone with any crime is mere probable cause( a very low criminal standard).Stated another way,all someone needs to bring a charge is a pen that can write,and an affidavit form to write out the charge! Once this affidavit is sworn before the court the prosecution can begin. However,the criminal justice system provides you with a trial and the prosecution must prove their case first,and then you have the right to defend your self by putting on your evidence. Good Luck!

Legal disclaimer: This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the... more Legal disclaimer: This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the applicable Mississippi Rules of Professional Conduct