How old has to be a U.S. citizen son to petition for his parents?

Bayonne, NJ |
Filed under: Immigration

my friend is under 21 years old and wants to petition for his parents. His parents need to adjust their status. We called USCIS and they told us that my friend needs to be 21 or older in order to do that. But I would like to confirm this information.

He needs to be at least 21 years old.

The information they provided to you is accurate. I hope he does not have long to go. Good luck!

Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship and nothing posted constitutes my legal advice. An attorney-client relationship can only be created by the mutual assent of both parties and only after an in depth consultation. My answers should not be used as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services.

Absolutely needs to be 21 before he can petition for parents. If that rule were not in place, a person would be able to immigrate to the U.S. merely by giving birth to a child in the U.S.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

In order to petition for you parents you must be an American citizen 21 and older. I highly recommend that your friend consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to determine whether his parents are eligible to justice status in the United States and obtain lawful permanent resident status based on a US citizen sons petition of their parents. The last thing your friend wants is to petition first parents and end up placing them in removal proceedings because they are not eligible to obtain a green card in the United States. So I highly recommend that your friend speech and a great attorney who has experience to guide them through the process even though he's currently not 21 years old it never hurts the plan ahead.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

Yes, he needs to be 21 but there are other requirements.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Yes, 21. You can discuss in full with a local Bayonne immigration lawyer

The US citizen must be at least 21 years old to petition his parents.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.