How old does a person have to be to date someone over the age of 18?

South Milwaukee, WI |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I am 17 and like a 19 year old, but do not know when it is legal to date this person. I hear from friends that it is 17 and a half, I am just unsure.

1. You can date them, you just can't have sexual intercourse with them or they will be subjected to misdemeanor charges of sex with a minor (9 months jail/10,000 fine)

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

2. One other thing to realize that Bill Clinton had it wrong as far as the definition of "Sexual Intercourse" goes, at least as far as Wisconsin law goes. In my day, back in the dark ages, this was called "heavy petting."

The statute that specifies that definition is 948.01(6) . There is a link to it below.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. This answer is not legal advice, which requires a personal connection and far more facts. This attorney does not give legal advice over the Internet. This is a general statement about law, not advice.