How old does a child have to be to decide which parent to live with?

Asked almost 2 years ago - England, AR

I always fall out with my mum and she never believes anything i say,when it is the truth. She expects me to run around after her cleaning up and looking after her two babys when she gets annoyed with them,and I hardly get to see my dad so i want to move to his house.

1. Chad L. Atwell

Pro

2

Answered . In actuality a minor child does not get to decide which parent they want to live with. Those decisions are left to the parents in the situation. Practically speaking, if one the non custodial parent filed for a change in custody, then your wishes (depending on your age) can be taken into account.

2. James Earl Hensley Jr.

2

Answered . Age 18, but the older a kiddo gets to the age of 18, the more likely the Judge will consider the desires of the child.

3. Joseph Torri

1

Answered . The court will look at what is in the best interest of the child in making these decisions. Age is a factor to consider. The older a child gets, the more likely it is a judge will listen to the child, but the judge has the final word.