How old do you have to be to make the decision to live with the parent you want to live with?

Asked 11 months ago - Kalamazoo, MI

im 13 years old and i live in michigan but, im visiting my dad in shelton washington. my mom wants me to come back the 30th of this month, but i dont want to right yet. i want to stay here with my dad for a little bit. and see how things go here. my mom keeps telling me i cant but i think im old enough to make that decision. is my mom allowed to make that decision for me?

1. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

Answered . A thirteen year old does not get to choose who they live with.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

1

Answered . This important decision is one made by adults, and for good reason. When the two parents can't agree, the judge decides. All parties are expected to fully comply with any court orders in place until those orders are changed. Your mother may well have excellent reasons for her decision, reasons that would be inappropriate to discuss with you. When you become an adult (age 18 in Michigan?) you can decide where you will live.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.