How old do you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with in Washington State? How do you do this?

Asked over 2 years ago - Poulsbo, WA

My mother and I are constantly fighting over petty little things. I believe that she needs anger management and i have suggested it only to find myself grounded the next day. She threatened to punch me and i told her i would call the police if she did. My sister and I were considering running away. However the consequences of running away are much to risky and we cannot throw away our future like that. My father and I get along great! My parents went through a nasty divorce when i was about 8 (I' am now 15). My father is not the man he used to be. He is hard working and responsible. The visitation in the parenting plan was Wednesdays (3:30pm-7:pm) and every other weekend. My father wants us over more. My sister and i both want this she is 13 i am 15! Please help. Thank you!

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

Answered . Please discuss this issue with a school counselor or a relative. It is inappropriate to give legal advice to a minor in a fourm of this nature. You have two parents that care about you. A child in Wa. has no legal authority to choose with whom they want to live -- that is a parental decision or failing that, a decision to be made by the Court. Please -- talk to your school counselor. There are lots of resources out there to assist you in this situation.