How old can you be to move out of your parents home in GA?

Asked about 2 years ago - Demorest, GA

I am 17, going to be 18 in October. I have read so many articles and discussions about GA law on the legal age to move out. GA law requires a minor to be 18 until they can legally move out. Other discussions between parents and teenagers my age say that at 17, a minor can move out and still return home until they turn 18. I make and manage my own money. Im just very restricted under my parent's rule.

I've seen posts by parents of a minor that said the cops told them "Under the laws in Georgia, a child is considered an adult in the eyes of the law at 17. The child can move out of their own free will but can not be kicked out until they are 18." The cops also told her that they were limited to making sure that the minor was not harmed, abused, was mentally stable and capable, and that they had moved out on their own free will and not because they were in danger.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . While Georgia prosecutes 17 year olds in adult criminal court, they are not adults until age 18 and have none of the rights of an adult.

The answer, which lawyers post here over and over, is very simple. One is not an adulty until age 18. You can move out on your 18th birthday. Unless you are emancipated by a court order, no matter how many 17 year olds post here, the answer remains the same.

2. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

Answered . A person remains a "minor", and subject to the control of their parents, until they become emancipated. Automatic emancipation by age happens at age 18.