How often should I contact my personal injury lawyer to check on my claim?

What's a reasonable amount of time to check the status of my personal injury case? I don't want to be obsessive.

Tampa, FL -

Find Out More

Jeffrey Andrew Luhrsen

Jeffrey Andrew Luhrsen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sarasota, FL

Every firm is different. The most important piece of this equation is that both the attorney(s) and the client are always on the same page. At some points during the case, there may not be any information to be relayed for days or weeks. However, if the attorney is communicating correctly with his or her client, then there likely will not be a need for this sort of question. It is important to me that all of my clients know the forecast of events eliminating as many surprises as possible thereby removing questions or doubts that might otherwise come up during a claim.

Marian Audrey Lindquist

Marian Audrey Lindquist

Personal Injury Lawyer - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I make sure I check in with my personal injury clients at least once a month while their case is open in my office. I want to keep up with what is going on with them, how often they are seeing the doctor and how their injuries are impacting their lives.

Matthew A. Dolman

Matthew A. Dolman

Personal Injury Lawyer - Clearwater, FL

Your personal injury attorney should be contacting you at least once every few weeks to remain informed about the status of your medical treatment and whether there are any new issues to address regarding your overall claim.

Further, you should not feel like you are pestering the attorney or law firm by calling to receive an update. At the end of the day, you are paying for a service (upon settlement of your claim) and should not feel like a burden in inquiring as to the status of your case.

I wish you the best of luck.

-Matt
WWW.DOLMANLAW.COM

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.
Daniel Marc Berman

Daniel Marc Berman

I would say once every few weeks is about right. If course the attorney should contact you anything any event of significance occurs.