How often should a rental property be painted?

Asked over 2 years ago - Long Beach, CA

I have rented a home in Long Beach, Ca. for almost 6 1/2 years. The previous tenant resided in this home for several years before me. Our landlord didn't paint the home after the previous tenant vacated and the paint was worn. Since the landlord didn't paint, we asked if we could paint some areas ourselves. He agreed to allow this. Now we plan to leave and he expects us to return the areas we painted back to the basic white the unit initially had (we upgraded to soft greens and neutral tan tones). We don't think he intended to paint at all and is basically using the fact that we painted previously to get a new paint job for free.

Is there a law regarding how often a unit should be painted? It seems like he should be responsible for new paint after 6 1/2 years.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . I think you are correct that the landlord should not expect the useful life of paint to exceed 6.5 years. Moreover, since you didn't paint the walls in super dark tones which would require an extra coat of paint, there is no justification for the landlord to pass on the cost of painting to you.

Unfortunately, there is nothing specific under California law regarding this specific issue.

However, you might find the discussion under Repainting Walls under the section on SUGGESTED APPROACHES TO SECURITY DEPOSIT DEDUCTIONS at the following guide to be helpful:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook...

2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Answered . Look at the lease, and then pull any paper work where he grants permission (or variance from any requirements in the lease as to repainting and color). After seeing what was agreed to in those two instances, consider the question again and speak with an attorney. The attorney should be willing to back up his analysis with representation should it come to that, and include his lawsuit details and fee in the attorney client agreement.

This way, you will have some idea what this will cost for a full trial, along with the precedent, and then you can make a decision to fight this or not.

Good luck!