Skip to main content

How often should a lawyer or paralegal be available to their clients?

Simi Valley, CA |

My wife and I got our I-130 petition approved. She is the petitioner and I am the beneficiary. She signed a contract to have a lawyer help us with our case. I believe a paralegal prepared the contract and had my wife sign it along with a deposit. Since my wife signed the contract, we have not had any communication with anyone from the law office. My wife and I have called multiple times to find out who is the lawyer that is taking the case since I believe there are 4 or 5 lawyers in the firm. The many times that we have called a different secretary will tell us that they will relate the message and still no call back from anyone. What can be done in this case?? What should I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you do not receive a response after sending the lawyer or law firm a letter by certified mail requesting a status update on your case "within 2 weeks time" then you may want to contact a local bar association or the State Bar and file a complaint. It is important that you document it in writing. If you do not feel your relationship with your lawyer is satisfactory you may want to change lawyers. One bit of caution, you get what you pay for.

  2. In general an attorney should return a call or email to a client within a day or so. If you have not heard from them after repeated calls, I would immediately send a demand letter to them advising that unless they inform you of the status of the case, along with an invoice for time spent on the matter, that you may be forced to bring this to the attention of a grievance committee. I don't like writing that, but unfortunately it is lawyers like that who give us all bad reputations. Best of luck to you.

  3. Write a written request to the managing attorney of the office. If he/she does not answer within a week, request your deposit back and hire another law firm.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.