How often do you travel across the country to try cases?

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

1. Madhu Kalra

Answered . I usually take cases in Southern California, if court appearance is needed. I have sometime travel to Northern California to assist my special clients. However, for Immigration, I have represented clients all over the world, which does not require my appearance at hearing.

2. Neil F. Lewis

Pro

Answered . I try to stay local for family reasons. It is also important to me to appear in front of judges who know why am. I infrequently travel out of the state. And generally it is prohibitively expensive to hire me to appear outside the state. I generally travel between Atlanta and Miami.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

Answered . Context for this question?

4. Kathryn Fenderson Scott

Answered . My practice is limited to Florida as I am a personal injury attorney admitted to the Florida Bar. I help people who were injured in Florida accidents - but my clients can be local or from all over the world. I have represented clients from all over the States and even from other countries - it just matters to me that they were injured here in Florida.

I think most attorneys are like me and limit their practice to the state where they live; some attorneys who live on or near the borders of states might get admitted to both state bars.

I think the lawyers "who travel across the country to try cases" are rare, I would guess the lawyers who travel across country would be either highly specialized or highly public (like a lawyer with a celebrity status maybe like Jerry Spence).

But I'm just guessing. Why do you ask?