How often can the Texas Attorney General take me to court to modify my monthly child support payment amount?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

Last time child support was modified/enforced by TX AG was September 2010.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Gus Zgourides

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The AG can modify your support obligation upwards or downwards, depending on the facts proven. You definitely need a lawyer to represent you in one of these cases. The AG's office can be very aggressive (and they should be). Try to find a lawyer that regularly practices in your county's IV(g) courts (special child support enforcement court).

    I do not represent you. I know no facts about your case. Time is of the essence in hiring a lawyer.
  2. Min Gyu Kim

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In Texas, child support can be modified if there is a "material and substantial" change in circumstances to "any party to the case" or if it has been 3 years since the last order and there is a change in the obligor's income of 20% or $100 dollars in regards to child support payment.

    With that said, modification is different from an enforcement. Modification seeks to change the amount of child support you are making now due to one of the reason stated above. An enforcement is where the obligor has fallen behind on making child support payments and the obligee or AG (if the AG is involved) wants to enforce the payments the obligor has missed. An enforcement will most often request criminal and/or civil contempt and penatlies that will make the obligor go to jail. There is no limitation to filing an enforcement if the obligor is continuing to miss child support payments.

    Sorry for the vague answer, but it needs to be clarified what it is the AG has filed against you.

    Consult a local Dallas family law attorney to assist you. Also, Dallas does have local legal clinics and association where attorneys volunteer their time and service.

    Good luck and wish you success.

    Min Gyu Kim (Peter)

    The foregoing are comments to a general question of law, and should in no way be interpreted as legal advice. This... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,415 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,415 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering