How often can I request free credit report?

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I am told I can get a free report. How often can I request the free service?

.

1. Rachel Lea Hunter

4

Answered . You can request one free credit report per year from each of the 3 major credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. Unless you haqve a particular reason to order credit reports from all 3 bureaus now (like if you are applying for credit), what I suggest is that you stagger your reports. For example, you can order one report from Equifax now; in 4 months (November) you can order one from Experian and in March of next year you can do Trans Union. Then keep the cycle going by ordering a report every 4 months after that.

You can get a free report at www.annualcreditreport.com. That site will provide you with links to each of the 3 bureaus. You can download your report if you have a computer/printer. You can also have it mailed to you but it is slower.

You can also get a free credit report if you have been the victim of identity fraud or theft. You will need a copy of a police report . Information about identify fraud/theft situations is at each of the websites for the 3 major credit bureaus. However, if you have been the victim of identity fraud/theft, there is a really good fact sheet at www.privacyrights.org - see fact sheet 17a.

2. Amy Lavonne Wells

Pro

3

Answered . Federal law requires that the "Big 3" (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) provide consumers with a copy of their credit report once per year, or anytime they are denied credit. You may obtain a free copy at www.annualcreditreport.com.

I encourage you to regularly monitor your reports from each of these three nationwide credit reporting agencies. If you suspect you have an error, I would suggest your access all three at this time. Likewise, if you have been denied credit, I would suggest you obtain a free copy of your report from the credit reporting agency(ies) used (which will be noted on the letter from the creditor)

Alternatively, if you are monitoring your reports to ensure accuracy, but do not suspect an error, I would suggest that you pull one of the reports every four months. While they do not all report the same information all of the time, this should suffice if you do not suspect errors.

For more information about credit reporting, visit http://www.ohioconsumerhelp.com/sub/credit-repo...

All the best to you!

3. Nicholas David Russo

Answered . Additionally, there is a forth credit reporting agency called Innovis. Innovis is not nearly as popular as the big three, as the other attorneys have mentioned. Generally the same rules apply regarding free credit reports.