How often are appeal cases overturned in a custody case with Grandparents, and in your opinion should we try to appeal the case?

Palestine, TX |

We are possessory conservators over our Grandson. We went into court on the 14th of this month, and had a psychologist with over 35 years experience rule in our favor, but the jury ruled differently. We lost our case, even to the surprise of everyone involved. We are considering appealing the case, but don't know how much merit we would have. So much of the evidence wasn't even brought forward, and we're wondering if this can be produced at the appeal? It would still be within the last final order date. We're just wondering how often these type cases are overturned, and whether or not we should go forward with this or not? We're not happy knowing our Grandson isn't getting what's in his best interest - like denied speech therapy, and medical needs! Please let me hear from you.

The appellate record needs to be examined because what is in the record already sets the stage for what can be done next. The answer to your question may take several hours of legal research. You do not state what the outcome was. Who got custody? Why? And to decide what the next step will be needs to be really fast because the appeal deadline clock is running and 12 days have already passed since the court session you mention.

You might find helpful my Legal Guide Questions to Consider Before Bringing an Appeal

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/questions-to-consider-before-bringing-an-appeal

Because this matter is so important you should really get a lawyer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-choose-a-lawyer-for-you

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot see your documents. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

In Texas, the appellate timelines move quickly. You should speak to an attorney or someone with knowledge of the legal deadlines quickly because of the entry of an order. You also may still be within the deadline to ask the trial judge to reconsider his ruling.

Child custody topics