Skip to main content

How o get business loss compensation.

Garland, TX |

Our gas station is in Garland/Texas. Due to road construction our front entry is blocked and will remain for 4 months. Our business is 1/3 due to this. Is there any way we can get some kind of compensation. Otherwise it will be difficult to pay rent and electricity bill. Please help us.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I added a couple additional tags to your question, so that a broader group of lawyers will see it. Your question goes more to eminent domain and the like than to constuction law.

  2. Generally, no compensation is owed for blocking access if some access is still available. If any land was acquired, you could have been compensated for the land taking, and possibly for damages to the remainder.

    There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of message on this website. All statements are not to be construed as legal advice but as general guidance. In all cases, an attorney should be retained to review the full circumstances and deliver advice consistent with the information learned.

  3. You should consult with a local attorney, and they can tell you if you have grounds for inverse condemnation or another claim due to your loss of business. In addition, a good local attorney may also be able to help you negotiate better access or business exposure than has been provided by the construction company.

  4. It appears that the short answer to the question of whether you have a case here is "No."

    My answers to the questions are for general informational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Accuracy of answers is not guaranteed, as my answers contain broad assumptions -- as such, you may not be able to rely on the answer under the facts of your specific case. There are no "one size fits all" legal solutions because even slight changes in fact situations may require a material variance in the applicable advice. Once again, I am not your attorney.

Construction law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics