How much would it cost to change baby's last name? since we are both the birth parents.. would it make a difference?

Sioux Falls, SD |

I'm going to be having a baby within the next few weeks. My boyfriend and I fight constinately about whose last name the baby should have. If I give the baby my last name... and my boyfriend and I end up getting married in the future... how much would it cost to change baby's last name? since we are both the birth parents.. would it make a difference?

There is no set correct or incorrect fee. Each lawyer charges what he/she feels is a reasonable fee for their professional services. A "name change" is a relatively simple proceeding and is usually not very expensive (especially if both parents are in agreement). When someone files an application for a name change, the Court's primary concern is typically to make sure that the applicant is not changing seeking to change names to avoid creditors or criminal prosecution.