How much would it cost on average to get a lawyer to represent me on an escape charge...from a half way house?

Denver, CO |

i was assaulted sexually at said half way house and left because i was traumatized by the event.

It all depends on the attorney. Attorneys charge all different dollar amounts based on the type of case, their history and time practicing, and whether the case is going to trial or not. Many attorneys charge a flat fee. Some attorney, like myself, charge on a slow pay/low pay basis and discount our fees and work on a monthly payment basis with a credit card. If the case did not result in going to trial and resulted in a plea, my expectation is that it would cost between $2,000-$2,500 approximately. If it did go to trial, you could easily expect that the attorney fees would be triple that at between $6,000-$7,500. I hope that helps. However, every attorney is different. My best advice is to shop around. I have been a judge, prosecutor and defense attorney for 21 years. The one thing that I can tell you is that price does not mean that you are necessarily getting the best or worst in legal representation. What you need to concentrate on is whether it is a good match with the attorney as you are working together on your case as a team. There is nothing worse than not having a good working relationship. I speak from experience. There are plenty of awesome attorneys located right here on Avvo. The fact that they answer questions for free and dedicate so much of their time to this type of pro bono service on Avvo speaks volumes about them right there. Best wishes.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

I don't practice in CO. But in my state, KY, the attorney fees could range from a $1,000.00-2,500.00 retainer to $50000.00 to handle the case short of a trial by jury. More experienced lawyers,who do trial work, may charge up to $10,000.00-20,000.00 for a multiple day jury trial in 2013.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Attorney time varies from firm to firm and it is not possible to give you an average cost for a particular type of case. An escape charge from a felony confinement is very serious and it is not clear that the sexual assault creates a legal excuse for the escape charge - paritcularly if you went somewhere other than a hospital or police station when you left the halfway house. Our firm would probably be looking for a retainer fo $3,000 - $5,000 to work a case like that, but a lot depends on the specific facts.

Another issue to explore if there is any evidence to support the sexual assault charge, is the possibility of pursuing a civil claim against the facility you were staying in. Depending on the circumstances of the assault and the outcome of any investigation that was performed, it may be worthwhile to speak to an attorney about your options for pursuing a civil claim for damages. If you want to contact me I would be happy to discuss that possibility with you.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Mr. Leroi has provided an excellent and comprehensive answer under the circumstances, and I will add that it cannot be emphasized enough that yours is the type of case which you simply cannot approach without competent legal representation. There are many issues involved and it appears that there may possibly arise one additional criminal case and a civil case out of the circumstances you have described.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Excellent observations by Mr. Bryans about the additional criminal case and potential criminal case. Mr. Bryans is an excellent attorney and an incredible asset to this forum.